Fran’s Pure Chocolate Sauce
When Fran was growing up, there were always two types of Hershey’s chocolate sauce in the house — the thick fudgey one and the thin syrup. She much preferred the thicker kind, spooned out of the can and warmed up for ice-cream sundaes.
This grown-up version of that fudgey, warm sauce is a tad more luxurious. It is so easy to make and such a delight to eat – like licking a warm, liquid truffle – that it belongs in your pantry at all times, for instant sundae making whenever the mood strikes.
Makes 1½ cups
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- In a small saucepan bring the cream just to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate.
- Let sit one minute.
- Stir with a heatproof rubber spatula until smooth.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
If storing in the refrigerator, reheat gently to serve.
To reheat, place the container in a pot of warm water until the sauce is warm and loose.
Celebrate being an adult by adding a splash of your favorite liqueur to the melted chocolate!