Fran’s White-Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
As you are probably aware, we are huge coconut aficionados here at Fran’s. To get great flavor and texture for the ice cream, we found we could rely on canned coconut milk as opposed to pursuing more complicated measures.
For an ice-cold version of our Coconut Gold Bar, drizzle a thin coating of our Dark Chocolate Sauce over the ice cream and add a sprinkling of toasted, shaved coconut and chopped toasted almonds. You’ll soon have yourself a most decadent and delicious dessert!
Makes about 1 quart or 8 generous servings
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 9 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- a 5½-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- In a heavy saucepan whisk together the milk, cream, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat until the mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and egg yolks. Slowly pour about 1½ cups of the warm milk mixture into the yolk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Place the pan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon, about 160°F.
- Remove from the heat and add the white chocolate. Let sit 1 minute to melt the chocolate, then stir until completely smooth. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Cover the custard with plastic touching the top to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cold.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker following the manufacturer’s direction.
For a pure, silky white-chocolate ice cream, simply replace the coconut milk with the same amount of heavy cream stirred in at the end.