Fran’s Brandied Cherries
A delicious addition to tortes, ice creams, champagne and cocktails, or enjoyed simply on their own, French Griottines are a special treat and one of our true favorites. If you can’t find French Grilliotines, you can make your own excellent version of brandied cherries at home. It is a simple process, but takes a few days, so you will want to plan ahead. We like to keep a jar or two of these lovely treasures on hand for quick use.
Makes 1 small jar
- 4 ounces Tart Dried Cherries
- Kirschwasser, or your favorite brandy
- Bring a small pan of water to a boil.
- Add the cherries to the water and remove the pan from heat.
- Let steep for 10 minutes, then drain and place the now-plumped cherries in a small jar.
- Pour in enough Kirschwasser or favorite brandy to cover.
- Seal the jar and let sit at least 2 to 3 days.
- When ready to use, drain the cherries, but be sure to save the liqueur for other uses. It will add a delicious dimension to a Manhattan or when mixed with a classic Coke.