Fran’s Key Lime White-Chocolate Tart
White chocolate enriches a classic lime curd, elevating it to an even more sensuous smoothness. The contrast between crisp, dark chocolate crust and tart-sweet lime custard is fantastic. Serve with a bowl of lightly whipped cream for the perfect finishing touch.
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup key lime juice, fresh or bottled
- 4 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into 16 pieces
- one 9-inch Chocolate Wafer Tart Crust or twelve 3-inch tart shells, baked and cooled
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a heavy medium saucepan and immediately whisk until smooth. Add the key lime juice and whisk again.
- Place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a heat-resistant spatula, until the mixture thickens. When you notice the first bubble of a boil, immediately remove from the heat. Add the finely chopped white chocolate. Stir until smooth. Add the butter, a piece at a time, stirring until completely smooth and incorporated.
- Pour into the baked tart shell, smoothing the surface. Chill about 4 hours to set. Bring back to room temperature to serve. Store in the refrigerator.